Monday 31 October 2011

Kaziranga National Park.

This morning began at 430 for a cup of tea and jeep ride to the elephant safari area. We went on a two hour safari at sunrise into the grasslands among the Rhinos, Deer, wild buffaloes and loads of birds.The swamp deer were barking alarms of a nearby Bengal Tiger but it  never left the cover of the grasses so we could see it. We did see a half dozen Rhinos including a mother and baby, Water Buffalo, Swamp Deer, Hog Deer and Sambar Deer, loads of birds as well. The Rack that is used for sitting on an elephant is not made for a tall people and was a bit uncomfortable, I was able to put my legs forward as I was sitting in the front so i was bearable.After the elephant safari I went on a jeep safari deeper into the park. Very impressive, even though the grass was still very tall I saw lots of wildlife.
I took an afternoon walk till dusk along the river past small villages and fishermen working the river. I watched a local tribeswoman that was married to the lodge chef work a loom, she was creating Gamosa which are traditional Assamese scarfs given to guests of honor. I headed off to a tea factory to pick up some Assam tea then back to the lodge for dinner about 830.This all .made for a very full day but fantastic wildlife and culture.