Monday 24 October 2011

Darjeeling

The yappy little dog outside my window beat my alarm clock so I had a good start on the morning. Strolled around a path used as a morning exercise area for the locals, feeling every bit the odd man out,My pace is adequate, im making progress and can still brerathe. Ya im gonna run all right, for about 100 yards then collapse . Actually by the end of the day I  was feeling much more acclimatized.
The mist did not lift from the valley so no view of sunrise on the mountains worth a photograph. I did manage to pick up a dozen new birds though so that was great.
After an excellent breakfast I headed back out for some serious shopping. YES SHOPPING. I now know more about Pashmina shawls then I every thought I would, most certainly more than I ever wanted to. The shop I went to was recommended by my host so I had a cup of masala tea and let him show me the goods. Your kidding right ? No seriously, your KIDDING RIGHT???? A thousand dollars for a shawl and that was the low end of the scale? Apparently it's sole test of approval is that it can pass through a ring without a wrinkle. Ok its light and soft  and warm but so is Charmin. Anyway I am told the prices are half what you pay in North America.... yeah and this one was only worn by a little old lady on Sundays.
Seriously though I was informed by a few folks I trusted to consider getting one as they were the best bargain and there were some good ones to be had even in the 100 - 300 hundred range. I picked one or two closed my eyes and handed over the credit card. 
After that harrowing experience I went into a Tea Shop to pick up some local teas as I had promised friends that I would bring some back for them. Your kidding right? No seriously, your KIDDING RIGHT?? Two hundred dollars for 100 grams of White tea? 5 dollars a cup???? And that was the starting point. I asked for a mirror because obviously I had a sign on my forehead in Hindi saying  "LIVE ONE". 
After I calmed down I again enjoyed a cup of tea and sat through the explanation of the tea industry in Darjeeling and what to expect for types and flavours. I even can explain difference between a first flush and a second flush picking.
Many of the local Tibetan elders are all on a three day hunger strike and are sitting in the main square chanting and singing. They are protesting the occupation of Tibet obviously but they are trying to gain international awareness as there are several monks that have self-immolated lately.
In the afternoon I headed off to the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute then the local zoo to see the Red Panda, as there is a minuscule chance of me seeing one in the wild up here.
All in all a great day, I started getting crazy crowded in the evening as it was the beginning of the Diwali Festival, Fun time to watch for sure.