Wednesday 26 October 2011

Gangtok

I began birding from my balcony at dawn followed by a walk in the truly "hidden forest " below then strolled the plant nursery area. Very nice setup, they have a shaded Orchid growing area as well as a vegetable and herb area. No wonder the ginger tea was so good, it was fresh! After a 600 am breakfast I met my driver to spend the day out and about Gangtok. I began the morning at the Banthang Forest Reserve on a ridge just outside of town. Just walked along the road for a few Km there were several flocks of birds in the trees, no great photos but it was a great time, and I loved the wild orchids. The Sikkim Himalayan Zoo opens around 1000 am, this place was crawling with birds as well, and not just in cages! It is situated on a hillside so it was quite a hike. The real treat of this place besides the birds was the Red Panda Breeding center. These little gaffers are highly photogenic!
The Zoo keeper let me inside the enclosure of the Snow Leopard for some closer pictures, The female, Malakai was having a hoot jumping around.
After lunch I visited three Monastery's, two of which are several hundred hears old. There is a pervasive and deep sense of mourning at these places due to the recent deaths of Monks in Tibet. That being said the young monks 7 to 10 years old are children,so they are as playful any child, with a sense of mischief that I appreciated.