Monday 7 November 2011

Kathmandu town

Today we spent some time picking up some items we had been looking forward to getting. I found an fantastic Music shop during one of my walkabouts. I was drawn to it by some fantastic drumming that I followed for about 300m. The owner was an accomplished musician and had first grade musician quality instruments for sale. He was playing a Madal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madal a traditional Nepali Drum and just the instrument I was looking for. I grabbed a Djembe with the best sound I have ever heard and we played together for a bit. What a hoot! I brought Lynda there and he set up and array of singing bowls and gave us each in turn a Qi treatment using 8 singing bowls, an array of cymbals and a bell. Fantastic! For me he placed a large singing bowl on a holder upside down on my head, I had to remove all metals and close my eyes. When he struck the bowl on my head it reverberated all the way down my spine. The cacophony of sounds was amazing and it was very cool thing to be sure. He used the large bowl in a different way to channel energy to help Lynda's fatigue. At one point he poured water into one of the larger bowls and made it sing, the water boiled spraying tiny water droplets due to the vibrations. I got this treatment  / concert all on video will upload when I can convert. He played several other traditional instruments as well so it was a great time. I bought the Madal we played earlier as well as some singing bowls. The bowls were pricey by Kathmandu standard but the craftsmanship was obvious and in terms of sound they hold a sound significantly longer than the tourist grade so I felt it was worth it.
I had a wooden crate made for the goods packaged them up and shipped them home. No muss no fuss.