Thursday 16 October 2014

Off to Itatiaia

Prior to heading off to Itatiaia (pronounced locally as eat-a-chai-a) I returned to Mr Dabronzo’s sitia to drop off twenty lbs of sugar and thank him for his hospitality. I attempted my first HD video with the new camera not bad for a rookie with no editing capability. This was a hot morning and a slow period for the Hummingbirds but you get the idea, birds buzzing all over the place. In between my legs, under my arms  and in between me and the tripod as I am taking pictures.


The drive to Itatiaia was spectacular; it began with an immediate ascent up into the perma-misty cloudforest on a steep and winding paved road. After an approximately fifteen km of first and second gear climb to the summit, I veered off thr main road for a side trip to the Nucleo Santa Virginia, a small university residence for students interested in Ecology and Habitat restoration. I met a student that spoke some English and we walked the river trail for a bit, I arrived there during the hottest part of the day so there was limited activity. I did manage to call down a new species of Trogon for me (Surucura) but he would not give me a clear view for a picture.
Unfortunately the small reserve I was hoping to visit was farther along the road was closed I left a card and requested  FB friend so will see how that pans out.
I am totally impressed the free Tracksource GPS maps for Brazil. They are amazingly accurate including one way streets in very small towns, route calculations and points of interest. Although my Garmin Oregon 300 has no voice a small beep lets you know a turn is upcoming. This particular route to Itatiaia took me through cattle country (sadly once was Atlantic Rainforest), a fun drive through 70 kms of sharp hills and windy roads with very little traffic

My hotel is located within the Itatiaia National Park up a goat trail of a road, again, super fun….

Glittering-throated Emerald (Amazilia fimbriata)

Green-headed Tanager (Tangara seledon)
 Red-necked Tanager (Tangara cyanocephala)



Violaceous Euphonia (Euphonia violacea) ♂