Wednesday 22 October 2014

Antananarivo

Antananarivo (pronounced ant-an-an-a-rivo and from this point forward I will use the Malagasy short form Tana) is a large sprawling city that has definitely seen better days. It is evident by some of the impressive architecture that at one time this was once a beautiful city.  Most of that past glory has been allowed to deteriorate. The drive in to town from the airport is a sensory onslaught, coal smoke burns the eyes, smoke from burning wood piles and exhaust fumes strain the lungs. The rivers are open sewers strewn with garbage and refuse.
The rice patties are well maintained however the water flooding them is questionable at best. You have to pass some of very poor areas of town, children have swollen belly’s from malnutrition as there only food is rice, as meat and fruit is affordable. Petty crime is rampant and overall Tana is a great city to get the hell out of.
I had the fortune of lodging with a group of senior Biology Fellows from the University of Connecticut , obviously a favorite of mine, the UConn Huskies and all that. Dinner was interesting to say the least, I definitely had to up my game to try and stay in the mix with these academics and avoid being exposed as the Neanderthal that I am. Thankfully my sinister past was of benefit especially the research I had done on water purification and aquaculture-horticulture recycling systems. At the worst I could always pull out a good old Yukon Grizzly story.

As it turned out we all were travelling to a lodge in the south on the same flight.